Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Year!

We have just returned from a short hop over the water to France, Lille to be precise. We had to get back to UK today ready for the New Year celebrations with some friends in London.

This was our third visit to Lille but the first time we stayed overnight and enjoyed the nightlife. Thanks to Lee's friend, Wan, a student in Lille, we found our way to the gay bars in Lille. Luckily they are close together! I must say the bar Vice Versa was a good place to be. The ambience was good and the barmen cute and friendly. I took the opportunity to sample a few beers and a very strong but tasty Rum cocktail (can't remember what it was called - it was crushed lemon pieces with a couple of spoonfuls of brown sugar, mixed with crushed ice and Havana Rum pured over the top...yum...and hic!

We took a walk around the town centre this morning before setting off to the Eurotunnel for our return to the UK. We had an excellent journey back to Coquelles but then.....queues at the Eurtunnel check-in. It looked chaotic, with cars reversing back from the check-in lanes to change to other lanes. Then, some lanes started closing. So I stepped out of the car to ask someone what was happening. Apparently a problem with the computers! A-la-Little Britain: "Computer Says No!" Grrrrr!!!!



Luckily we managed to get in a lane which was moving, albeit slowly, and we made our timed departure. But I also went through hell trying to get back to the UK from Hamburg during the week before Christmas - the 'foggy Heathrow' week. So I am more determined I want to live on the Continent! It is so bloody hard to get in and out of the UK. Generally speaking, I am beginning to wonder why anyone wants to live here, its cold, wet, expensive and has the most awful public transport (dirty, expensive, unco-ordinated and unreliable). Well, I suppose there are some good points; to give a more balanced view I promise I'll try to think of some!

Well now to think about my true New Year resolutions. I have a few in mind but will carefully select the ones I really want to concentrate on. One in the list is to update my blog at least weekly, or should that be 'weakly' ? I wonder if it will make it to my final declared resolutions?

All that remains is for me to say Happy New Year to anyone who takes the time to read this!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New year darling.. hope our lives will be even better and more prosperous this year (with more cikcurans perhaps?? LOL)...LOVE u loads!

xxx

Cik Fatima Syams said...

HI Avang.,. hepi niew year to U, Lee & Family..